Tuesday 26 May 2015

My Honest Opinion

Its 2 years since the trail opened and times have moved on. I have actually sold "Blue Wren Travellers' Rest YHA" to Mark Basson.

Down here in Denmark we have not  had many riders coming through. A year ago I went out to the first shelter towards Denmark and counted in the log book how many riders had slept overnight. It was about 130 which is abysmally few. And do I think that the numbers are going to increase dramatically over the years? Well, no.

My experience is based on having ridden the trail between Albany and Northcliffe and conversations with a few riders passing through the YHA here. I expected to become a fan of the trail, but really I am not hanging out to complete the rest of the trail between Manjimup and Perth.

The trail is an awkward concept in that it does not really target any well defined demographic group. It has been called and off-road cycle touring route. But actually its more back road than off-road.

I dont judge that it is likely to attract touring cyclists. Touring bikes are made for paved roads and they will need to get a mountain bike with suspension and fat tyres to ride the terrain. Neither is it really what sporting Mountain Bike Riders want. They like single track circuits where they can have a few good hours ride and then get back for a beer at the pub or a pie at the bakery.

Overall, I would rate that the Munda Biddi has excellent shelters, signage and maps. The problem is that the trail itself is not that good. In particular the Northern part between Mundaring and Dwellingup I hear is very difficult to rid largely because of the pea gravel which has been chewed up by trail bikes. Then the Southern part down here between Albany and Northcliffe is not that good either. A lot of it goes along paved roads, and a lot is along back gravel roads which are sometimes too sandy and loose to ride. The valley of the Giants area is wonderful forest to walk through. But on a bike, there it is very arduous with continual steep gradients. A 50km section turns out to be the equivalent to about 150km on a paved road. I don't mind being tired at the end of a day, but I found myself completely whacked out.

So my advice for anyone who want to ride the trail is to consider leaving out the Northern and Southern sections. In the central sections there is more opportunity to stay overnight in the towns and there will be far less need to carry camping gear. The trail is also easier to ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment