Friday 18 October 2013

Walpole to Denmark

Business at my Denmark hostel was very quiet here a few days ago so so I got all my gear together and prepared to do the sections between here and Walpole. I transported my bike to Walpole and headed off in wonderful spring weather.

Walpole to Booner Mundak Shelter

Here is my EveryTrail Map of the route detailed on Map8. If you want to use this map on an Ipad/Iphone or Android device you can download this map for free and use it for navigation.


This section is quite arduous! It is great scenery as it follows the Frankland river through the valley of the Giants, but as it does so it also has some very steep inclines and declines as the trail cross the many tributaries feeding into the main watercourse. I was really glad to have my Tektro hydraulic brakes working well. Things got a lot easier after the track took a turn and headed due north toward the shelter. So I was glad when I did finally make it to the shelter feeling pretty tired. It requires some fitness for this section.
Overlooking the Frankland River

Sappers Bridge where The Munda Biddi and Bibbulmun Trails cross.


Mother Emu was looking very protective of her 5 chicks so I kept very clear.


Booner Mundak Shelter

Booner Mundak to Jinung Beigabup Shelter



Not such a hard ride but my legs were pretty fatigued from the previous day. This section if almost all back roads and farm road, but its very pretty. Lots of evidence of flooding in the wet weather that we had had in August. Then in September after my ride DEC had to close the trail completely and divert it to the highway. Lots of Great Views overlooking Mount Franklin.

Lots of Back Roads and Farm Roads

Here is a water crossing that will not be good when its floods.

Jinung Beigabup Shelter
Jinung Beigabup Shelter to Denmark


I had had beautiful weather through the first part of the ride coming from Walpole but in the afternoon the drizzle started and it I could feel the cold front driving the temperature down. My home in Denmark was only a few kilometers away if I took the shortcut down the Scotsdale Road. Here are some pictures of when I rode this section previously.

This is probably the only section that takes in coastal scenery. Normally the very sandy soils in the dunes make it very difficult to construct a bicycle track along the coast. There is a great section with some very expensive construction between Lights Beach and and Madfish Bay which has made this possible in this section.

 The last 12km of the route between Lights Beach and the Denmark Visitor Centre is along bituminous roads which is not so exciting for MTB riders. The Shire of Denmark do have plans to extend the route along the coast to Ocean Beach which we hope does not take too long in happening.
Lights Beach Lookout

Constructed Bridge

Short Diversion to Waterfull Beach

Elephant Cove near Greens Pool

No comments:

Post a Comment